Monday, May 27, 2013

Spinach Mushroom Quiche

First off, let me say that Paula Deen will be proud of this recipe.  Who doesn't put a stick of butter in a quiche?  It's organic butter - so that totally makes it ok, right?  RIGHT?!  Yeah, I didn't think so either....

So I have this big tub of Spinach leaves sitting in the fridge, and no salad dressing to put on it to make a salad (somehow I managed to leave that at work), so I needed to come up with something to use up a large part of it.   So I pulled some mushrooms, garlic, eggs and cheese out of the refrigerator and threw them together into a quick quiche.  Let's hope my husband doesn't disappoint and will eat quiche like a REAL man! 

Let's get started....

For the crust I made this Quick n Easy Quiche Crust recipe I found on All Recipes.  I used whole wheat flour instead of white flour.  It came together very easily and baked well throughout the quiche baking process. 
  

Next I melted a stick (yes, yes I know...a stick?!) of butter in a large skillet and sauteed an average size container of washed and chopped mushrooms along with 3 finely chopped cloves of garlic.  When the mushrooms started softening up I threw in a couple large handfuls of spinach leaves.  I let them cook down for a minute or two.

 
Then I added in about 1/3 cup of crumbled feta cheese and 1/2 cup of shredded monterey jack cheese.


Stir all of this together until the cheese melts a bit and then transfer it into the unbaked crust.  


In a separate mixing bowl, I whisked together 1/2 cup of 2% milk and 3 large eggs along with some freshly ground salt and pepper.  Pour the egg mixture over the spinach mixture, making sure the two incorporate into each other - I used a fork to kind of mixed the two together in the pie crust.  


Place in the preheated 375 degree oven for 15 minutes.  I then took the quiche out (it's beginning to smell fantastic in the kitchen by this point!) and sprinkle about a cup of the monterey jack cheese on top and returned it to the oven for approximately 40 more minutes, or until it is set in the center.  Let it cool for 10 to 15 minutes before eating.  


I can't tell you how amazing this smells as it's sitting on the stove cooling off! 


Even the husband loves it!  I call this a success!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment