Sunday, May 26, 2013

Spelt Banana Bread from The Healthy Foodie


Spelt flour is new to me, as this is only the 2nd time I've ever baked with it.  Baking just hasn't been as enjoyable for me as when I used to use white flour and white sugar in everything I made!  My/our tastebuds were so attuned to those flavors that using the "healthy alternatives" has taken some getting used to.  This morning I noticed the 4 semi mushy bananas that a certain unnamed 6 year old begged for at the grocery store last week, but neglected to eat, I decided to make some banana bread.  I googled whole wheat and/or spelt flour banana bread recipes and I came across this one for Spelt Banana Bread over at The Healthy Foodie.  Afterall, she promised that it was the last banana bread recipe I'd ever need - it had to be good!    I was pleased with how well this bread baked and set up, and the flavor is quite nice.  I figured it would taste quite strongly of cinnamon having 2 teaspoons worth in a single loaf - but to be honest I didn't even notice it once it was baked!   Is it as amazing as my old go-to Betty Crocker original white flour banana bread?  Not really - but  it shouldn't taste the same - I'm not using the same over processed, sugared up, GMO laden ingredients.  This is back to the basics goodness, and I'm glad I tried it.  The husband even ate some on one of his trips through the kitchen this morning and said it was good - that's a good sign!





No comments:

Post a Comment